Hummus has been around for a long time. The earliest recipe for a food similar to modern hummus has been traced to a document from 13th-century Egypt. Traditionally made from mashed chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, salt, olive oil, and a sesame-seed paste called tahini, hummus has many incarnations and varieties from Palestine, Yemen, Syria, and Israel, as well as Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries. Hummus recipes are most frequently used as dips for vegetables and pita bread, but recipes using hummus as a sandwich spread or in other dishes are also popular.
Here are some new ways to use hummus recipes in dips and beyond!
- Hummus is a great mayonnaise replacement for healthy eating and as a great source of extra protein. Deviled eggs and hummus chicken salad are both easy to make and delicious! You can also make egg salad or tuna in the same manner, if you’re feeling really adventurous.
- Feel like your hummus dips could use some freshening? Try mixing in some avocado for hummus guacamole, or try making basil pesto hummus! Green is great!
- Hummus dips aren’t the only thing that can feel a little bland after a while. Mix hummus into your mashed potatoes for an extra kick of variety!
- Hummus pizza sound too good to be true? It’s totally not! Spread your favorite hummus on a pita, top with roast veggies, maybe some chicken and olives, and pop it in the oven! For a vegan twist, just leave off the chicken!
- Spread hummus on fish or chicken, crumble with bread crumbs and spices, and bake accordingly. It’s like a marinade without all the waiting!
- Remember hummus pizza? Good, right? Now prepare for hummus pasta! Cook your pasta, toss with hummus, season to taste. Quick and easy dinner.
- Run out of salad dressing, but not hummus? Throw some vinegar and salt and pepper in your hummus for a quick and easy dressing!
- You’ve had hummus sandwiches. You’ve conquered hummus guacamole. You even polished off the hummus pizza. But are you ready for hummus burgers? Of course you are. Ground beef, hummus, spices to taste. Mixed, shaped and grilled. I knew you could do it.
These are only a small selection of the fun hummus recipes available for consumption. Really, anything can be a recipe with hummus if you try hard enough. You just have to believe in yourself, and in the power of chickpeas.